Sunday, May 29, 2016

Finished!

I'm finished with my Teacher Induction Program, the step new teachers in California are supposed to take as new hires, after completing a credential program and student teaching. I kept putting it off, then ignoring it, content to work part-time as a teacher tutor, afraid to take on a class of my own.

I did it in one year, intensive style. A lot of work, but it was authentic work.  I learned stuff. And I teach better.


Now I can keep teaching in California, and have to renew my credential every three years. Except we're planning to leave California!

While I was submitting all my digital forms and records and observations and reflections and assessments and everything else, I finished a quilt, too!
I bought these fabrics, already cut, and registration to to a class from someone who'd signed up for too many classes at Quilt Con. Thanks, Kathleen of Kathleen Quilts!

Ah, Quilt Con! That was such a fun adventure!
I got to hang out with the lovable Cindy Wiens of Live a Colorful Life. She showed me around, and made me feel appreciated and clever. Can we hang out again, soon?




So many wonderful quilts, and lectures, and workshops, and people... but that was in February. I'll just show you this fun, fake tattoo from the Cotton & Steel booth:

Libs Elliot designs quilts using computer code. She also has a new line of fabric, which my kids will love. She's soft-spoken, kind, and adorable:
Her workshop, For the Love of Y-Seams, means there are a lot of angles to fit together in this quilt pattern. Weight of Love is only available in Libs' workshops. Here's my version, though I can't take credit for the fabric choice.
Quilted with lots and lots of de rigueure straight lines on the diagonal.
I don't even like gray, but I had plenty of grays in my stash to make the back of the quilt. I have to admit, gray works well with this quilt. A few leftover triangles made a cool hexagon to anchor my signature and date.

A few more leftover triangles came together for these complementary pillows.
Those fragmented hexagons! I like them!

I wonder where this quilt will find a home. Any ideas?





1 comment:

Needled Mom said...

Congratulations on the teaching credentials AND the completion of a quilt. My mom was a teacher while we were growing up and it is a lot of hard work.

Your quilt is just beautiful. It will make a stunning statement wherever it ends up. The pillows are beautiful too.